Friday, November 14, 2008

Islam = Terrorism: part two (the sequel?)


I don’t want to appear as a masked crusader for Muslim rights, but I feel almost obligated to try and make some sense out of the world’s new obsession- the Muslim people. Ever heard that “Muslim is the new black?” Well, with the implication that the American, especially Anglo, population are targeting people in an undemocratic and discriminatory fashion as in past history of the U.S. towards African Americans, then yes I guess they are. I fully understand the position of my colleague (I had a research project on illegal immigration and its effects on the country, and it is a huge problem), yet I respectfully disagree on a few tiny points. As we have seen throughout history, people do, well, stupid things when afraid. I worry about the implication of letting the fear of another terrorist attack allow the discrimination and unjust treatment of other human beings.
Profiling for any reason is wrong; even if profiling seems to be rational and gets results, it is still discrimination and a breach of the Constitution. As US. Citizens, tourist, immigrants, or even illegals human beings all deserve fair treatment, and in a nation that boasts of being so democratic no one should have to explain the obvious link of profiling to unfair treatment.
First, I would like to say that while I too understand the link between the Muslim people with terrorist acts (since past events have shown a link), I still have a hard time making the jump to believing that it is okay to assume an individual guilty before being proven innocent. In addition, I would like to say that it is our job as “The People” to keep an eye on the government, its practices and procedures and ensure that we
‘the People” are being protected by our government.
In the case of illegal immigration, of course the government should pursue those individuals found guilty. However, not all Muslims are illegals, immigrants, recently immigrated, or even middle eastern looking. Profiling has effectively done two things in addition to providing leads:
1) Helped Americans become paranoid and hostile towards a people based on their religious beliefs or appearance.
2) Helped many American citizens become the target of despicable injustices, discrimination, and violent acts.
However logical, rational or real the link may be, to forge ahead with a practice that strongly violates ethical and democratic ideals is, to put it plainly, wrong.
On another note, I saw a 30 days episode recently when I had questions about the truth of the teachings of the Quran (does it really promote violence) and I was surprised at what was observed. I urge anyone who has the time to take a look and open more debate o this issue, as it is great for democracy to shed some perspective through quality debate on any subject.

No comments: